Council Workshop Minutes Monday, December 10, 2018
Mayor Redfern called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Scott Locke, Bill Hampton, Billie Smith, Chris Mohler, and John Loomis. Tom Collins as well as Officer Brian Bell was present. Fire/EMS Chief Ralph Hill was absent.
- Mayor Redfern stated that he has provided a copy of a letter from ODOT regarding the Industrial Drive Bridge as an update.
- First on Brittany’s agenda was a Fund Summary Report that was updated at the end of the day with most transfers done and all bills paid.
- Next on the agenda was a copy of the 2019 Debt payment schedule for Council to review.
- Last item on the agenda was regarding the Fire Department Stipends. Mayor Redfern explained that his thoughts were to discuss with Council doing away with these since the Village buys their uniforms and pays for their training. He explained how it has changed over the years and that this year the total is $3,100.00. It used to be done that anyone on EMS that was paid did not receive a stipend, only the volunteers. He asked Council if they would like to change it or leave as it is. Council discussed and would like to leave it as is.
- First item on Tom’s agenda was a discussion regarding the Park Restroom Project. Tom explained that it went out to bid once and there were no bids. The contractors felt the prices were too high and JHA is recommending some changes. This would include the stainless steel fixtures, the conduit being moved to the exterior of the block, going to smooth block, and the Village would install the bollards. They are also going to look into the cost of the furnace and why it is so high. JHA is asking if it okay to do these modifications as Tom says he does not have any problem with these changes. This will be put back out to bid once they get these changes made. Council stated that they would be okay with these changes. It was discussed about JHA having Pat Kelly look into this. This was discussed in further detail.
- Chris Rice stated that he was down at the Rec Center yesterday where Basketball was charging the old rates for entry. This meant a loss in money and would like contact information for Shane to let him know about this. Chris Rice also went over the email he sent to all of Council regarding a gentleman from California that asked how many people usually are in over the holidays to climb the wall. This gentleman is donating money to cover these charges over the holidays so there will be free entrance to the climbing wall. Council would like to send a letter of thanks to Mr. Hesch for his generous donation.
- Mayor Redfern asked Brian Bell if he would like to address Council about the K9 dog. Brian Bell explained that he would like to get a K9 program for Crooksville since there will not be a dog on patrol on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. He believes this will help take care of the drug problem that is down here in Crooksville. He explained how this would work and what would need to be done for this to happen. Donations would be collected as well as fundraisers. Bell wanted to get Council’s thoughts on this. Chris Rice asked to have this on the agenda for next Monday.
- Council went into executive session per ORC 121.22 (G) (2) for Real Estate.
Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.
Mayor Redfern stated that there will be no meeting held on the 24th and the 31st will be a fifth Monday. The first meeting in January will be the 7th.
Mayor Redfern explained that there will need to be a public meeting for the Storm Water and asked Council’s thoughts on when to have this. This has to be published in the paper at least once. Mayor Redfern stated that he will let Council know Jobes Henderson’s response on this. He asked if Council wanted to push this into January. They replied that they will probably have to.
Mayor Redfern explained that he has given Lisa the letter for the surveys.
A citizen stated that she feels that it should not be the Village’s fault that the first contractor hired another contractor. That it would be the first contractor’s responsibility to pay for the second. This is regarding the engineering on the Park Restroom Project.
Mayor Redfern adjourned the meeting.
Brittany Ross Fred Redfern
Fiscal Officer Mayor