Council Workshop Minutes Monday, January 25, 2016
Mayor Redfern called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Bill Hampton, Billie Smith, Jan Driggs and Chris Mohler. Tom Collins was present.
- Brittany stated that the first item on her agenda was the Fund Summary Report that was updated through the end of the day.
- Next, she explained that she received a letter from the Ohio Municipal League regarding training for Newly Elected Council Training if anyone would like to attend. Mayor Redfern suggested all the new Council members attend because of all the information you receive and will be held in Dublin on February 27th. Billie Smith, Scott Locke, and Jan Driggs stated that they would like to attend as well as Mayor Redfern.
- Also, there will be an Ohio Ethics Training in New Lexington at Ludowici as well as the Sunshine Law on March 18th. Brittany asked that anyone that wanted to go to let her know as soon as they can so she can get it registered. Billie Smith stated that she would be going and Chris Rice stated that he would be if he did not have a doctor’s appointment that day.
- The following item is just for Council’s review. Resolution 2016-12 will be on the agenda for approval next Monday Authorizing Application for Appalachian Regional Commission Funds so Council needs to review and if there are any questions to ask before this is approved.
- The last item on her agenda is executive session.
- Tom stated that the first item on his agenda is to inform Council that he has received the approved Waterline plans from OEPA if anyone would like to look at and stated that he will be reviewing these.
- Next item on his agenda was to discuss the Flood Mitigation Meeting that was held on January 20th and inform Council of what happened. Mayor Redfern explained this in further detail about how it came about. Also, it was discussed about the town participating in the counties mitigation plan and if we choose to do so it will be in with the county. This will be done by Ohio State University and the Mayor’s recommendation was to go with the county and be included in their plan. Mayor Redfern stated that he will keep Council informed as there will be extensive meetings pertaining to this. This was discussed in further detail. Chris Rice asked if the information could be emailed to Council about this.
- Tom stated that he spoke to Julie Ward with RCAP and stated that one more Council member needs to complete the Financial Management courses prior to May 1, 2016 in order for the Village to obtain the grant money. Also, Chris Mohler needs to finish his courses as he has only completed a portion of it.
- The following item on the agenda is a discussion on purchasing a Police AWD Interceptor and financing through Ford Motor Credit that we used previously for the F-350 Service Truck. Officer Carr explained that it would be better to purchase a new Police Cruiser as the ones being used now have to constantly be worked on. The approximate price is about $23,000 but will be a little more than that as the equipment won’t transfer over. It was discussed about the Explorer and Cruiser already being declared surplus and what needs to be done for this.
- The last item on Tom’s agenda was to discuss the sale of Heritage Hall and if Council would have any interest in selling the lot next to Reed’s Station with Heritage Hall. There is no parking with Heritage Hall and this would hopefully help sell this. Council agreed that this would be a good idea and would like for this to be done.
- Jerry Marks asked Council about the Water Plant and the lights being out. He stated that the lights are out on the building and when people go to get water at night, they are not able to see. Tom stated that he will get this taken care of as he did not realize they were out.
- Linda Marks was present and discussed with Council about the waterlines being able to go further up the hill on Flint Ridge Road and provide the few residents up there with Crooksville Water Service. Tom stated that with this new project, it is only for replacement purposes and no extensions will be done. It was explained that the reason these residents do not have water service are results of elevation issues and that a new pump station would have to be put in. This was discussed in further detail.
- Police Chief Walters was present and gave Council the Police Department report for December. He also presented them with a copy of the Police Department inventory list.
Council went into executive session per ORC 121.22 (G) (1) for Personnel.
Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.
Mayor Redfern adjourned the meeting.
Brittany Ross Fred Redfern
Fiscal Officer Mayor