02-12-2018 Council Workshop Minutes

Council Workshop Minutes    Monday, February 12, 2018

Mayor Redfern called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Scott Locke, Billie Smith, Jan Driggs, and Chris Mohler. Tom Collins was present. Bill Hampton was absent.

  1. First item on Brittany’s agenda was a Fund Summary report for Council to look over. This was updated at the end of the day with most bills paid and most transfers done.
  2. Next on the agenda was Ralph to discuss Fire and EMS with Council. He explained that there were 122 EMS Runs in January and 15 Fire Runs. This was down 22 runs for EMS. He explained that there is a major drug epidemic happening and everyone needs to be careful. He also let Council know that Brittany had put in all of Council’s packets the STS (State Bid) from Finley Fire for the breakdown of cost as well as the interest rates given by the banks for them to look over. She explained that Community Bank’s interest rate is the best one available and the list is updated as of today. She also let them all know that we received the settlement check today to cover the cost of the loaner squad. Chief Hill give Council a copy of the quote from Finley Fire regarding this Medic. He explained that he is having them add more lighting along the sides for visibility in intersections for safety. This was discussed in further detail.
  3. Brittany explained that she has the pool ad ready and wanted to verify with Council whether they would like for it to be ran now for Pool Managers and Life Guards three times like before. She explained that the new Pool Manager will need to take the Certified Pool Operator Course and they are coming up in April and May.
  4. Bill Dennis would like to discuss his matter in Executive Session regarding personnel.
  5. Mayor Redfern discussed the easement that National Gas & Oil is requesting to move the pipeline to accommodate the bridge replacement on Main Street. This line supplies Cerco with natural gas. Erosion has exposed this on the side next to Swinehart Insurance. They would like to move to the other side but will have to go under our storage yard and behind the Fire House. Council asked if they could come to a meeting to explain this and answer any questions that may arise while our Solicitor was also present.
  6. Tom stated that the first item on his agenda was an FYI that the Monthly Construction meeting will be on Thursday the 15th at 11:00am due to prior obligations of the Engineers.
  7. Next item on the agenda was to inform Council that he has been working with Don Holycross from Digital Design Solutions to update the Village website. He asked Council that if there was anything they wanted added, posted, any pictures or schedules to let him know via email so he can relay this information. Tom explained what we will have access to do and what this gentleman will take care of.
  8. Tom recommends purchasing a 2007 Ford E-150 Van to house and organize the new and current sewer equipment that we have. The total new equipment investment is $10,000. This service van will be ready to locate, video, document and make reports of any existing storm drains, sanitary lines and water lines. The purchase price is $7,200 that would be split between three departments costing them $2,400 each; including Street, Water, and Sewer funds. He is going to send Tim up tomorrow with a check and if it drives fine then he will be bringing it back to Crooksville. Scott stated that the Storm Water Utility has not been finalized and Tom explained that this has in the sense that the only item not decided upon is the amount that will be charged once this study is complete. This was discussed in further detail.
  9. Tom asked Scott to explain to Council about a Capital Project that they have been looking at. This is for a Verdin Clock that will be placed in front of the Municipal Building. It will be a Community Clock to be the focal and beauty point of the community. This was discussed in further detail. There is a warranty involved with this with a total cost of this clock being approximately $7,450 plus cost of landscaping or what is needed around it. Police Chief Walters asked when the old Municipal building was being tore down and recommended using some of the old bricks from that to put at bottom of the Clock.
  10. Discussion on the fate of the Morgan County Reservoir Property was next. Tom explained that all of the information regarding this property as well as the property adjacent to this property that was sold in the Hit List folder. It was asked to put on the agenda to sell the Morgan County Reservoir property for $2,000/ acre, as is the going rate for land in Perry County, and advertise in two newspapers to take bids. Tom explained that the Village will be required to disclose the discrepancies associated and all the work that will be required by the EPA to the Dams and Spillway to anyone that is bidding on it. If the buyer wants to keep these impalements, they are looking at another $1 million approximately for the repairs. This was discussed in further detail.

Council went into executive session per ORC 121.22 (G)(2) for Real Estate and (G)(1) for Personnel.

Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.

Police Chief Walters discussed with Council about foregoing his raise in order to hire another full time Police Officer.

Council discussed getting a raise and that it would not be in effect until the next term. They discussed raising Councils’ from $250 to $300 and giving the Mayor a raise.

Mayor Redfern adjourned the meeting.


__________________________                              _________________________

Brittany Ross                                                              Fred Redfern

Fiscal Officer                                                              Mayor