04-09-2018 Council Workshop Minutes

Council Workshop Minutes    Monday, April 9, 2018

Mayor Redfern called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Scott Locke, Bill Hampton, Billie Smith, Bill Dennis, and John Loomis. Tom Collins was present.

  1. First item on the agenda was Brandon Garling & Don Wheeler with Energy Cooperative to discuss with Council an amendment to the easement regarding the gas lines. This was discussed and Council did not like the location they presented. Due to this, they are going to get with Tom and see where they may possibly go to get this done.
  2. Next on the agenda was Tom Bolyard to discuss trying to get Handicap parking at 704 Walnut Street on behalf of his mother. Council stated that this cannot be done because then it would need done on every street. He had complaints about her neighbor as well as well as asking about gravel in the alley that is dead end that goes in between his mother’s house and Wayne Frash. It was discussed about vacating the alley and splitting it 50/50. This was discussed in further detail.
  3. Fund summary report was next on the agenda. This was updated at the end of the day with most transfers done and all bills paid.
  4. Next, was a discussion on Terra Hammer using the Rec Center for a Battle of the Bands on May 19th and was asking about using it from 12-12 for set up. Council stated that she could set up ahead of time and she will be charged for as many hours as the event lasts. Brittany stated that she will let Terra know.
  5. First item on Tom’s agenda was to discuss the storm drain in rear of 515 Keystone Street. He stated that this needs cleaned, televised, and repaired. This storm drain crosses Keystone Street and empties into Burley Run Creek. This was discussed in further detail about upgrading the storm drain with possible sub-contracting it out. John Loomis stated that he looked at this and there is only a small piece sticking out and only a small portion of water can get through this. Bill Hampton asked if there is anyone to communicate with on Flood Mitigation regarding this Creek. Mayor Redfern stated that he spoke with Ben Carpenter about this but someone else has taken this position. Mayor Redfern stated that he believes we can do something; he just has to figure out who the right person is.
  6. Last item on the agenda was Executive Session per ORC 121.22 (G) (3) for Possible Litigation.

Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.

Mayor Redfern stated that he has given Council two weeks of community service reports. He explained that he spoke with Jerry Marks and we will be able to get three HAPCAP workers this year and he will supervise them.

Mayor Redfern discussed the Drug & Alcohol Policy and that it needs revisited after himself and Tom looked it over. He stated that there were two cases in the past year that with the squad and no one was tested on either occasion. They would like to take care of the Village’s Policy as well as the EMS Policy at the same time. Tom stated that it is already stated in our Handbook that if you are in an accident or injured on the job that you are supposed to be tested for Worker’s Compensation. Mayor Redfern stated that the testing laboratory was not mentioned and he has been in contact with Genesis to get this added for them to be our designated testing laboratory. Tom stated that they discussed random employee testing and in the handbook it states it needs done when there is an accident, incident, or suspicion based off of your immediate supervisor. So it was given to Council to discuss whether they want to add the random testing into this as well. Mayor Redfern stated that it is $45 and $30 for alcohol so $75 per person per test for the 10 panel testing. Chris Rice stated that he believes the Village should just follow the policy that is already in place. Mayor Redfern asked if we are going to be preventive by doing this random testing. Mayor Redfern stated that he is investigating an incident right now because a patient stated that they smelled alcohol on an employee and it was not brought to light until a month later so no testing could be done at this point. Bill Dennis asked if there is a stipulation in the Village’s Policy regarding employees coming forth and letting their supervisor know they have a problem. They are given the opportunity to get help. Tom stated this is already in the handbook and is at the employee’s expense. If there is reasonable suspicion, then they can be sent. Bill Dennis told Mayor Redfern that this was reported to him and now he holds the responsibility to do something about it. Council stated that this needs taken care of immediately. Tom suggested bringing this employee in and let them know that they will not go on runs until they go get tested. Council suggested both the Mayor and Chief sit down together with this employee. Tom suggested that Mayor Redfern get with Tom Maedke, our insurance agent, to get verification.

Mayor Redfern stated that he spoke to the guy running Karate and he thought that his wife was bringing in the money every month but that he would take care of it.

Mayor Redfern adjourned the meeting.

__________________________                              _________________________

Brittany Ross                                                              Fred Redfern

Fiscal Officer                                                              Mayor