Council Workshop Minutes Monday, April 23, 2018
Mayor Redfern called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Scott Locke, Billie Smith, Bill Dennis, and John Loomis. Tom Collins was present. Bill Hampton and Brittany Ross were absent.
- Mayor Redfern stated that he has a correspondence from Perry County Arts & Recreation meeting on May 14th at 3:30pm. Everyone is welcome to attend. A gentleman will be present to discuss plans for the landfill after it is all redone. There is also a Complete Streets Program at June 6th in Knox County on how to Beautify your streets in the Village. There is some funding available for that. He asked Council if there is anyone who wants to go, to let him know.
- Next on Mayor Redfern’s agenda, he has Kelly Bresett to discuss with Council about the rumors going around about getting rid of the auxiliary. She wants to know if this is true and how this will affect the police coverage we have now. Mayor Redfern responded that this is not true but that they are looking at different ways to gain the shifts that have no coverage. He has not discussed this with Council yet. She asked the Mayor what his thoughts were and was asking if the big cost is compensation for the auxiliary. She explained how this benefits both the Village and those officers who are dedicated. She thinks that they should get rid of dead weight but not the whole auxiliary. Scott Locke explained that they are looking into different options and believes that we do have some good auxiliary officers. There are many options being looked at. She asked if there could be a commander put in place to help manage the auxiliary. She asked how this would affect school functions with coverage. Mayor Redfern stated that he does not know at this moment but has this question as well. He has not discussed with the School yet regarding this and all of this is still ongoing. He thanked her for her concern.
- Next on the agenda was Kelly Newlon discussing the storm drain issues on West Brown Street. She stated that the drain was put in and she has been down to talk to the Mayor and Administrator. The water is coming off the hill and washing everything on that side of the street to their driveway and into the foundation of their house. She showed a picture from Google Earth showing where that drain used to be and stated that the Village has covered this. She stated that she appreciated the Village trying to divert the water to the drain on the other side of the Street but it is not working. Chris Rice asked Tom his thoughts on this. Tom explained that Council should have the Engineer look at this. It was asked how long this will take? Tom stated that they have done a lot of work over there over a year. They asked about reopening that drain and Tom stated that he hasn’t had time to look at it and that Mark had filled this in after they moved there by Mark. Kelly circled the catch basin on the picture and Tom asked if this was gravel or concrete. Kelly stated that it is a concrete slab. Tom stated that he will look at this with this new information. Tom asked if this new catch basin is helping the other sides of the street. They replied that it does not but the grate is above the ground.
- Next on the agenda was Tom Bolyard. He explained that he has had considerable damage to his mower because of Junior’s yard. He stated that he thinks they should clean up after themselves. Mayor Redfern stated that he told him he needs to have a police report done, fill out a complaint form, and this will all have to be turned in to the contractor’s insurance. He stated that he has a complaint against an Officer in the Village and his attorney suggested that he file a lawsuit against the Police Department and Village for harassment. They were shining a light into the window and ran his son’s license plate three nights in a row and then pulled him over and wanted to search his vehicle. They had a drug dog brought in and the dog scraped the car up and Mr. Bell called for the dog to come down even though he only had a headlight out. Tom Bolyard stated that he has had enough of him. Tom Collins stated that he had heard a couple complaints today regarding instances like that and heard this from a real reliable source. Mayor Redfern stated that he will look into this. Bill Dennis asked about the chain of events that occurred and asked about the drug dog jumping up on his car. Mayor Redfern stated that he will have something for him in writing regarding this once he looks into this situation.
- Mayor Redfern stated that he gave all of Council a report from Jerry Marks. First on there was where he worked on State Route 93 to help pick up the highway along the four lane and they had enough trash that filled up the whole back of the pickup truck. He thanked Larry and the judge for giving the Village workers to help for this.
- Mayor Redfern attended a meeting with ODOT today regarding the Industrial Drive bridge and trying to get a grant to replace this. Jobes Henderson did an excellent job representing the Village during this meeting. He believes the Village has a good chance to get this grant.
- Tom stated that the only thing he has is Executive Session.
Bill Dennis stated that he would like to discuss something before Council goes into executive session. There was a lady in complaining about the property behind the State Store and wanted to know what is being done about this because it has been 3-4 weeks and nothing has been done. Mayor Redfern stated that he has been in contact with the Health Department regarding this. The owner is upset about having to fill out a demolition permit. Mayor Redfern stated that he would waive the fee for this if the owner would fill out the paperwork so the Village can mark utilities. He is awaiting a response from the Health Department on this. Bill Dennis stated that he hopes they have a better response to this than they did with the property on Main Street. This was discussed in further detail regarding this property on Main Street and how it should be handled. He believes that nothing is being done to take action. There are no liabilities or consequences in place. Mayor Redfern stated that Council needs to take a change of action and work on other priorities. Bill Dennis asked why CODE would be in Crooksville and asked Mayor Redfern to check on this. Mayor Redfern stated that he will go to the Sheriff’s office and find out.
Scott Locke wanted to make it mandatory to have the Police Chief and Fire Chief to attend a workshop meeting a month so that some of these questions can be answered.
Bill Dennis stated that the last time he was on Council there was a situation where they did not know if a person could be armed or not. He thought that an Officer was supposed to be in attendance for this reason and then this quit happening and no one did anything about.
Council went into Executive Session per ORC 121.22 (G) (1) for Personnel.
Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.
Mayor Redfern adjourned the meeting.
Brittany Ross Fred Redfern
Fiscal Officer Mayor