05-12-2014 Council Workshop Minutes

Council Workshop Minutes    Monday, May 12, 2014

 

Chris Mohler called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Jeremy Allen, and Jan Driggs. Mayor Lantz, Jeremy Allen, and Bill Hampton were absent.

Chris Mohler asked Brittany Ross to start her agenda.

Brittany stated that Fire/EMS Chief Ralph Hill was present and first on her list.

Ralph Hill stated that he received a quote to take down old tower from Commercial Electronics for $3,900. He stated that in regards to the new siren being placed, Commercial Electronics is about two weeks behind schedule. He stated that he does want computers also. Tom stated that these were included in the quote for 15 that he gave Council a few weeks ago.

Brittany asked Chief Walters if he would like to go next.

Chief Walters stated that he had brought two gentlemen in that he would like to see join the Police Auxiliary. He stated that their applications are turned in and they are very qualified. The first is James Chapman. He stated that he has been in law since 2001 and specializes in narcotics and addiction. James stated that Crooksville was recommended by a friend of his. Chris Rice asked where he was presently. He stated that he was not anywhere because he was going to join the Somerset Police Auxiliary but there were some internal problems going on so they were not added. The next gentleman was Jason Sheperd and he stated that he was in the military and an arson investigator for many years. His full time job is as Registered Nurse and wants to keep his commission and has been in Police Auxiliary for over 11 years. Jason stated that where he is at currently, he does not agree with the policies.

Chris Mohler asked Brandon Frash if he would like to go next. Brandon stated that he needed a couple noise permits signed. He stated that he has one on the 17th and one on the 31st. He wanted to know if it was possible to get these signed. Chris Mohler stated that the Mayor should be back next Monday and that the permits could be left with him. Brandon just wanted to make sure that these are in place so the Police know when things will be going on. He stated that a percentage of what they make off these bands, the Snack Bar gives back to the Community.

Brittany stated that Council has been given a statement of cash. She told them that not everything has been paid but this does include BWC being taken out.

She stated that the next thing on her agenda is that Council has been given a copy of the Burr Oak bill that totaled about $49,900.

She stated that the last thing she had was a pool discussion. Peggy Higgins typed up a paper for Council to look over the recommendations of what she thinks they need as well as hours and prices for the Pool. Brittany stated that in regards to the Pool operator certification class, the only one left available to go to before pool season is on May 22 and 23 in Akron from 8:30am to 6:00pm. Peggy wanted to stay both Thursday and Friday night and the best one that Brittany had found was about $56 a night. Tom stated that the pool managers do not have to go but they were sent and that it is a good thing for them to go to. Tom stated that usually the Village only pays one night. Chris Mohler stated that she can pay for the first night and the Village will pay for one night. Chris stated that in regards to the recommendations presented from Peggy, it looks like the same as last year.

Chris Mohler asked Tom Collins to start his agenda.

Tom stated that the first item on his agenda is just an FYI on the OPWC Small Government Paving Project that was approved. He has attached the list of streets that will be done to refresh Council’s memory.

He stated that the next thing on his agenda is in regards to the Community Organizational Board that was supposed to be put up on Industrial Drive. He stated that they had decided to move the board down a little for more visibility and the location is pending approval.

Chief Walters stated that he had discussed with Mayor Lantz about bringing Joey Carr back full time as sergeant. He stated that he would like to have this on the next agenda and that he is behind this full heartedly.

Tom stated that the last thing on his agenda is to go into executive session.

Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.

Chris Mohler wanted to remind Council that the Independence Day celebration will be June 28th and would like to have Council’s blessing to have an all-day open free pool day for this, weather permitting and would like to have this on the agenda for approval.

Chris Mohler adjourned the meeting.

Brittany Ross                                                              Chris Mohler

Fiscal Officer                                                              President Pro Tem