Council Workshop Minutes Monday, August 8, 2016
Mayor Redfern called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Scott Locke, Bill Hampton, Billie Smith, Jan Driggs, and Chris Mohler. Tom Collins was present.
- First on the agenda is Tom Maedke with McBane Insurance with a renewal proposal for the auto, liability, and cyber insurance. He stated that it is pretty much the same as last year in regards to coverage and the premium for all will be $34,768. Tom Maedke gave a brief overview on the limits and coverage the Village will have.
- Kathy Maguschak was present, also with McBane Insurance to discuss with Council the Health Insurance renewal. She explained that she had spoken with Anthem and they give us a discounted rate for being a part of Akron Board of Trades as well as a rate relief. As a result, the Anthem insurance renewal premium for keeping the same coverage will only be a 2.23% increase.
- Fire/EMS Chief Ralph Hill was present to discuss with Council updates with Fire and EMS. He stated that he had a young lady present that would like to join Fire/ EMS, Amber White. Her application is turned in along with the background check. He stated that he will get this over to the Mayor to review. She introduced herself to Council and they asked her if she has ever been a part of any Fire/EMS Department. Ralph Hill explained that she will be taking her test here in Ohio. Her class will be end of this month with Newton Township; it is $1,000 per person. This will be ready for next week for approval. He stated that he had three going into the 120 class for Fire training. This includes Collin Dvorshock, Dakota Dalrymple, and Amanda Westcott. Nicole Hall passed her EMT registry, so when she gets her state card she will be able to run as an EMT. Ralph stated that last month there were 140 EMS runs and 13 Fire runs. Vehicle inspections will be done by OSB at no cost. Hose testing is set for September 16th with the same company as last year. September 27th -29th he will be attending an IAFC program in Cincinnati that is free as well as a class through the State Fire Marshall that a few members will be attending next month as well.
- Brittany stated that Council has been given a Fund Summary report that was updated throughout the end of the day with most transfers done and some bills paid.
- Tom stated that the only item he has is a copy of the boom mower that he will be hopefully getting in September to take care of any overhang. This will cost approximately $3,000 for a week. He stated that he is also looking to get a quote for a case skid loader as well.
- Mayor Redfern stated that there are a few trees that need taken care of that is covering signs. He stated that these just need cut back.
- Mayor Redfern explained that the church group from the Church of Christ wants to complete a project to help clean up a couple properties in town. The ladies group will be doing in front of the Municipal Building and the men’s group will take care of one property on South State Street and one on Cahalan Street. He explained that he has spoken to Tom Maedke about it and the only way to cover is to explain it in open Council that this is a volunteer group. He stated that this can be voted on next Monday night.
- Police Chief Walters stated that he is going to get with Officer Starling in regards to records that need gone through to see what they need a destruction order for and what they need to keep. Mayor Redfern explained that he had met with the Police Auxiliary and records retention came up when they discussed tracking evidence. This was discussed in further detail.
Police Chief Walters stated that they took the Plymouth Cruiser in to the Car Show at Denny’s and received the award for Best in Show. He stated that they have been invited to lead the moving wall on 37 to fairgrounds due to the veterans we have, being Chuck Woods and Rob Lewis. This will take place the last Saturday in August.
Tom explained that if Chief Walters was going to go into the old building to look through the old books and records over there, they should make sure to have a good respirator. He suggested that they not even go in because of the condition of the building. It was discussed on how to take care of this.
Council went into executive session per ORC 121.22 (G) (2) Real Estate.
Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.
Mayor Redfern adjourned the meeting.
Brittany Ross Fred Redfern
Fiscal Officer Mayor