Council Workshop Minutes Monday, October 23, 2017
Mayor Redfern called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Scott Locke, Bill Hampton, Billie Smith, Jan Driggs, and Chris Mohler. Tom Collins was present. Brittany Ross was absent.
Tom Collins explained that Brittany Ross would not be there tonight due to not feeling well.
- First item on her agenda was the fund summary report that had been updated throughout the end of the day with all bills paid and most transfers done. Tom stated that if Council had any questions to ask her when she got back.
- Next item on her agenda was Ralph Hill to discuss Fire and EMS with Council. Ralph explained that he received the rejection letter for the FEMA grant. The grant writer will write the grant for free this year due to this. He is not exactly sure what to ask for at this moment. Chief Hill stated that he will have to start purchasing turn out gear. He will start with 5 sets at a time and they are going to run approximately $2,500 per set. The Columbus division of Police donated five brand new sets of bulletproof vests to the department for use by EMS because they go into the domestics but is for either department if needed. He explained that he is working on a MARCS grant. He explained this in further detail as well as other grants he would like to apply for.
- A discussion on the grant for cleaning tires up at the reservoir was next on the agenda. Mayor Redfern stated that there are two different programs. The one specifically in front of them is for our reservoir. There is also one in November that will be a join tire collection between the Village of Crooksville and Roseville. He is wanting to know if Council wanted to move forward with trying to get this grant for the reservoir. He explained this in further detail. It was asked who was going to take them up. Mayor Redfern stated that he would find out. Tom stated that because the minimum is 100 tires, they will probably want a count done. Council stated that as long as there is no cost to us or no matching requirements, why wouldn’t they as long as you make the 100 minimum. The other program will take place hopefully some time in November for the Collection of tires to be held at the Village Park that will be advertised. There will be no charge and will be split between the two Villages and Mayor Redfern stated that he should know something by next Monday night to give Council details.
- The following item on the agenda was a discussion on if Council would like to pay the membership renewal of $1,000 for MORPC. This membership expires the end of the year. Council discussed this in further detail. This will be on the agenda at the following Council meeting for a vote. Scott Locke stated that he was all for this last time and he hasn’t seen what they have done to help the Village. Tom stated that it is way above our head and that he doesn’t foresee the Village getting anything out of it.
- Tom stated that the first item on his agenda was to discuss the water/ sewer temporary termination that was brought up about 6 months ago. He stated that the Village will have a lot of questions regarding taps, etc. and this needs to be straightened out now before this waterline project gets further along. Mayor Redfern explained the problems/ questions that has been brought up thus far. It was asked how other Villages handle this and Tom explained that the owner will possibly have to put in shut offs for each section of the house if it is a duplex. This should be done instead of putting in a tap for each side. Tom also asked Council what should be done with a vacant property that has service to it. Why would this be done unless they want to pay for that. This was discussed in further detail on if they want a new tap, should they have to pay the minimum. Tom is asking if council wants to replace every curb box or what they want to do. Jan Baughman was going to check the legality of all of this and get back with Council. Council discussed this in further detail and think that it would be wise to keep the temporary termination in place. It was still discussed on what the criteria should be on putting in the new taps with these new waterlines going in.
- Council went into Executive Session per ORC 121.22 (G) (2) for Real Estate.
Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.
Mayor Redfern adjourned the meeting.
Brittany Ross Fred Redfern
Fiscal Officer Mayor