Council Workshop Minutes Monday, October 26, 2015
Mayor Lantz called the meeting to order. Present were Chris Rice, Fred Redfern, Bill Hampton, Billie Smith, Jan Driggs, and Chris Mohler. Tom Collins was present.
- Shiloh Casto was present from the Hocking Athens Perry Community Action to discuss with Council on Fair Housing. She left pamphlets for our citizens if they need them and explained what all is involved with Fair Housing.
- Council was given an updated Fund Summary Report with revenue updated through today as well as all transfers done and most bills paid.
- Brittany stated that the next item on the agenda is an overview/ discussion on trash hauler bids. Council looked over the chart that she had put together. Fred Redfern stated that his opinion is to move forward as there were two companies that met all of the criteria in the bid, including Waste Management at $14.00 and Kimble Recycling at $14.19. The others either didn’t have the bonds requirement or the insurance requirement. Chris Rice asked Shellie from B.A. Disposal if her referendum will be on this year’s ballot or next year. She stated that she is not sure when but it would be at least the spring. Chris Rice felt that since this wasn’t going forward yet, the Village will move forward. Scott Locke stated that they are going to proceed if it is awarded with a lawsuit of $5 million as well as $2 million per Council member. Chris Rice explained that this is their right to do this and Council will get with the Solicitor on this. This was discussed in further detail.
- Next on the agenda is a discussion on putting liens on properties. Fred Redfern explained that we do not have a standard set on when liens are placed on properties and feels that this needs to be taken care of somehow. His recommendation was to use a time limit like if they are delinquent by six months, then a lien would be put on their property. Bill Hampton stated that he feels there is something in the ORC that covers this; Fred Redfern replied that we have not adopted anything in this Village that handles this situation. Another recommendation was putting the utility bill in the property owner’s name but something needs to be done to take care of this problem. Council discussed when this would benefit with the cost of these being taken to court.
- The next item on the agenda is a discussion on baby pool renovations. Fred Redfern stated that there are a lot of options out there on how to fix the baby pool. Chris Rice asked how much is put back and Brittany responded that at the end of this month there is a little over $15,000 put back. Chris Mohler asked if there were any grant opportunities out there to help with something like this. It was discussed on which route would be best to get the little kids back. Council wants to get estimates on getting the baby pool fixed as we will receive in real estate money in the early spring.
- Council went into executive session per ORC 121.22 (G) (1) Personnel.
Council is out of executive session with no decisions made.
Mayor Lantz adjourned the meeting.
Brittany Ross Darrell Lantz
Fiscal Officer Mayor