Mayor Douglas Cannon, who served the Village from 1994 until 2005, was the driving force behind the creation of the Recreation Center. Mayor Cannon’s vision for a “Community Center” began in 1997. On June 25 of that year, the Village Council gave him the authority to apply for a United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)/Rural Development grant and loan to remodel the old Crooksville High School gym.
Construction began in 1998 and the remodeling was completed in February 2000. It was through Mayor Cannon’s untiring efforts and leadership that Crooksville’s citizens of all ages can enjoy year-round recreation, programs and events.
Current programming includes a climbing wall, an archery program, youth basketball, karate, and other special events.
The Recreation center may be rented for special events through the Village Office. Please call Heather Chapman at (740) 982-2712, ext. 100 for rental information and availability.
Please follow the Recreation Center Facebook page for up-to-date information on programs and schedules.
The first program to open was the Climbing Wall, which was built by local climber labor. The program has been operated since its inception by Chris and Teresa Rice and friends as unpaid volunteers.
The climbing community throughout the United States has donated new and used climbing shoes, harnesses, belay devices, holds and money to help supply the Crooksville climbing program.
The climbing wall caters to people of all ages and from all walks of life. It has even gone international with visitors from Mexico, Germany-Austria and Slovakia. Climbers who have reached the top have ranged from two years of age to 74. And that also includes some handicapped and disabled climbers as well.
The Archery program was established soon after the Climbing Wall. It has been run by Steve McNeal and Wayne Frash and friends, also as unpaid volunteers.
- Rec Center Schedule
- Sunday: Archery 1-4 p.m. (longer on competition days)
- Monday: to be determined
- Tuesday: to be determined
- Wednesday: to be determined
- Thursday: Climbing Wall 5:30 p.m. (set up) and 6-8:00 p.m. (climbing) and 8-8:30 (cleanup)
- Friday: to be determined
- Saturday: to be determined
- Special Notes:
- Special occasions may be rented through the Village Office
- Do not assume that the gym is available at any time during the Holiday Season as we have special rental events on occasion. Any special rental event will take precedence as they will have paid for that time.
- Climbing Wall Rates
- $3.00 for adults
- $2.00 for students
- $6.00 for a family
- Recreation Center Rental Rates
- $150.00 for two hours
- $200.00 for four hours
- These rates include a $50.00 deposit that will be returned as long as the Recreation Center is cleaned up after your event.
- To rent the Recreation Center, please call Heather Chapman at (740) 982-2712, ext 100. for rental information and availability.
- To report a problem at the Recreation Center, call the Crooksville Police Department at (740) 982-2666 and they will contact the appropriate people.
- Archery – Steve McNeal (740) 982-5120
- Climbing Wall – Chris Rice (740) 982-3510